Sunday, October 19, 2008

needed a breather

Last night Big B, LB, LB's friend BR and I set out for an evening of haunting and chills. AW opted out, and spent the night at his friend MS's house. Our local amusement park, Kings Dominion, puts on a fright fest of sorts, called "Halloween Haunt."

In the past I have always loved Halloween. Maybe it's the stress level, but this year I'm just not feeling it as much. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time. We met up with some friends, rode some rides, dined on overly expensive food-2 cheeseburger combos, 2 chicken sandwich combos, 4 drinks, because they're not part of the combo=$50!, and then stood in lines to go through the mazes.

This is where I'm baffled, it it weren't for HH, our friends' teen daughter, being incredibly frightened by the bumpities and spookables it wouldn't have been any fun to go through those mazes! Is it that they really sucked, or am I sensitized to "horror" after viewing so many movies, haunted houses, and such over my lifetime? The mazes appeared awesome, and the park goes to great extremes to make them so. There really wasn't a lot of activity inside the mazes, as far the real people were concerned. Their outfits were spooky, but their acting skills left alot to be desired. They would saunter up to you and just be there. It was very passive and mellow. There are about 6 mazes altogether, "Club Blood", "Blackbeard's Revenge", and "Big Top Terror", to name a few. Walking through "Big Top Terror" was a blast because it was hilarious to watch HH continually freak out when one of those scarey clowns would appear out of nowhere. Maybe I was just to caught up in watching her.

Before you think I'm horrible for laughing at the horrid plight of a young girl, you must know she went into the mazes completely voluntarily. Her parents, brother, boyfriend, my husband and I all got a kick out of her screams of terror. Horrible, I know.

Sad thing is I didn't get many pictures, two to be exact. Only one of them was of the haunting nature. Check out Jack in the Box. All of a sudden, when you least expect it he would pop up and start playing some eerily, frightening music.


The other was just a shot of the KD version of the Eiffel Tower.

Later in the evening, after walking many a mile, my hips started aching. It suddenly dawned on me in a near-epiphany, how am I going to handle being on my feet for 8-12 hours a shift when nursing? This is pretty serious.

I've never mentioned this before in this blog, but I had gastric bypass surgery in 2006, and lost quite a bit of weight. I was nearing 300 lbs at an alarming speed. So it stands to reason that my hips would hurt after all that pressure on them. I didn't lose all the weight I needed to, wasn't one of the lucky ones who drops half their body weight. The pain is noticeable only after walking long distances, for long perids of time, such as a day of shopping at the mall, or an evening spent roaming an amusement park.

Interestingly enough I am losing weight again. Stress? You guessed it. Who wants to eat when they're under so much pressure, and there's no time to do so anyway? Rest assured I do get 3 meals in a day. They may not be substantial, but necessary because of what must be a slight case of hypoglycemia.

Well, speaking of stress, we have our next Nur105 lecture test on Tuesday, and the next two days will be spent as usual...studying! Whodathunkit?

I'll leave you with some photos from the country-side near where I reside. Enjoy the fall foliage. Peaceful isn't it?



No comments: